Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate one 200 mg Advil will that hurt them I have three

Customer Question

My dog ate one 200 mg Advil will that hurt them I have three dogs one weigh 73 pounds the other two are in the 50-60 pound range
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread.

Friend, advil toxicity in dogs depends on the amount ingested and weight of the dog. Doses above 25mg/kg we see gastrointestinal ulceration, vomiting, abdominal pain, etc. Doses above 100mg/kg we can see renal failure in addition to the gastrointestinal symptoms. In this case, the worst case scenario would be if the 50 lbs dog took the advil 200mg. However, based on weight this comes out to a dose of 8.8mg/kg. So, one single ingestion of 200mg of advil will Not be toxic to any of your dogs.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!