Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 5 wk old miniature dachshund that is making gurgle

Customer Question

I have a 5 wk old miniature dachshund that is making gurgle noises in his throat. He is a male in a litter of three I have never heard this in any other puppies.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can feel like an air pocket in his throat. He doesn't seem to be in any distress and his lungs are clear.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Have you noticed any regurgitation of food in this pup? The "air pocket" you've feeling might indicate a gas filled esophagus as might arise with a congenital (present at birth) megaesophagus (a ballooning out of the normally rigid esophagus) or a crichopharyngeal or esophageal achalasia - neuromuscular disorders leading to difficulty swallowing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?