Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Great dane puppy 9 weeks is knuckling :(
, s front

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: His front legs seem to be knuckling.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Slugger 9 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Slugger?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions to see if I can better assess your situation?

Is it just the front limbs that are affected?

Is he able to walk at all?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How is his appetite?

Is there anything he could have gotten into or ingested?

Does he have any tremors or spasms?

Does he seem painful anywhere?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
only front limbs, able to walk but front legs are shaky . no vomiting or diarrhea, appetite is great. He has not gotten into anything he stays inside and went out to play but we were there with him, does not seem to be in pain.
I looked it up after noticing and it looks like the pictures of Knuckling that I have found.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Knuckling is usually a sign of a neurologic problem. It is possible it could be a toxic reaction from something he had eaten, I would be concerned about a problem in the neck, that is compressing on the spinal cord. With his breed, I would be concerned about some instability between two of the vertebrae in the neck. This can cause some compression on the spinal cord. It is a condition called Wobbler's Syndrome. My best advice is to get him into your vet to get evaluated as soon as possible. I would run some blood work to try to rule out a toxin ingestion, but I would see about getting some x-rays done on his neck. The website below will have some more information on this disease. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/cervical-vertebral-instability-wobbler-syndrome-

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have read that it could be treated with a change in diet possibly. Is this so?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Sorry about the wait. I am having bad Internet problems. Give me a couple of minutes, and I will get right back to you.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

While there is a suspect link between nutrition and this disease (perhaps too much calcium), there is nothing to show that diet alone will get rid of the problem. In mild cases, it can be managed with medical therapy. In younger puppies, using a neck brace with strict inactivity for 4-6 weeks may help to strengthen the area. Some pets can live with mild symptoms and be managed on pain medications when necessary. In severe cases, surgical treatment is necessary. That is not something that would be considered in a Great Dane puppy because there is still a lot of growing to do. A large breed puppy food is the best one to have them on. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John