Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Bichon was sprayed by a skunk last Friday. We bathed m

Customer Question

My Bichon was sprayed by a skunk last Friday. We bathed him with peroxide and tomato juice. I later learned we should have used baking soda, not tomato juice. By Monday, he was nauseated, vomiting and had diarrhea which continues through today. Is this skunk related?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He got most of the spray on his chest and chin.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is very possible that this is skunk related, especially if any was ingested. I would be concerned still, though, if there is a lot of vomiting and not eating. There may still be more going on, though, so if he is vomiting often, has bloody stool or is not eating; I would highly recommend getting him to your vet for supportive care at the very least to keep him from getting dehydrated, which can complicate matters immensely. You can use the peroxide with the baking soda. In fact, the mixture that seems to help the most with the skunk smell is 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.