Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I just got my dog a little french bulldog he has gotten all

Customer Question

I just got my dog a little french bulldog he has gotten all his shots except his booster shot. He was being fed puppy chow and we changed his food up the last two days to ultra puppy food. We have noticed the last half of the day he has been straining to get it out and it does come out loose. but there is two drops of blood that comes out. Little worried and wondered if its just from the straining? should we mix his food half puppy chow half ultra till he is used to it and start weening him off the puppy chow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Winston. How long have you had this little guy? Has he had any vomiting? Has he been eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have had Winston for two days. Yes been drinking and eating well a lot of energy. no vomiting but you can see he has to strain to poop

Good morning. I'm sorry I had to step away last night. That is good that he's been drinking and eating well with lots of energy! Also very good that he's not having any vomiting. Could the loose stool and the little blood be due to the dietary change? It is a good possibility. Sudden changes from one diet to another can cause the intestinal tract to be thrown off. When I have any dog being switched on a diet, I recommend that owners go 1/3 new food to 2/3 old for a few days, then 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days, then 2/3 new and 1/3 old for a few days, and then finally all new. This slower transition can help things to adjust better. Some definitely need this, and others may not need it as much. One really good thing to do with a new guy like this is if you've only had him two days is to take him to your own vet for them to check him over. They can set him up for his future vaccines and screen a stool sample to make sure there are no intestinal parasite issues that may be at hand here too. I'm sorry for my delay in a response again. Enjoy this little guy. Franchise's his age are so adorable!