How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19128
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

All of a sudden my dog is acting like she is sick. she wont

Customer Question

all of a sudden my dog is acting like she is sick. she wont jump up or down of the couch, i have touched her everywhere to see if she hurts, nothing. It came on very sudden and I know one grape had been missing in a bowl on the table. Is one a reason to rush her to the vet?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello Shari,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello again Shari,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I do not think just one raisin is going to cause any harm whatsoever to a dog of Roxy's size. I say this because the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose for raisins in the dog is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight. So from that a 10 kg { 22 pound } dog would have to swallow 1 ounce of raisins before you would be worried. And as there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce you can see that just one is not going to affect Roxy in the slightest. Read more on this HERE

2. So you can discount any danger from the raisin, but while it is hard to work out precisely what is going on it does not sound that serious at present so the best plan might well be just to monitor Roxy for the time being and then as long as she does not deteriorate further you would be taking very little risk in waiting to see your regular vet tomorrow. Of course if things are getting worse or you become further concerned then you should have her seen by an ER vet sooner.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

The same thing applies in your case in grapes as in raisins, ... see the link I sent previously.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello again Shari,

I am just checking back in to see how Roxi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the grapes and raisins incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.