Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cavalier was given a prescription 32 mg a twice a day. He

Customer Question

My cavalier was given a prescription for phenobarbital 32 mg a twice a day. He weighs around 26 lbs and I have accidentally given him a 3rd dosAge today is he going to be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello Deborah,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Deborah,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The usual recommended dose of phenobarbital in the dog is between 1 mg to 2 mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours, so the dose can go as high as 56 mg twice a day for a dog of your one's size, so this is not such an overdose.

2. Also this drug is regarded as having a very high margin of safety in the dog so previous cases I have dealt with like your just showed a minor degree of lethargy and then went back to normal after a few hours.

3. All you need do in this sort of situation is just to monitor your dog for present and of course contact an ER vet in the unlikely event that more serious symptoms occur. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

4. And just give the next regular dose at the regular time.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Deborah,

I am just checking back in to see how Nidas is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Phenobarbital incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Deborah Maddux,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nidas. How is everything going?