Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 7 month old Havanese puppy accidentally got a hold of a

Customer Question

Hi, Hi, My 7 month old Havanese puppy accidentally got a hold of a 400 mg ibuprofen yesterday morning. I only knew when I noticed her tummy heaving to throw up and she threw up some dark stuff then pink bubbles. I called the vet and took her in and they gave her some medicine and special food. She seems just fine now and hasn't thrown up and is eating and drinking normally. My vet just called and said he wanted to see Harper tomorrow to do some blood work to check her liver. Does this make sense even though she is her normal self today?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Do you think my puppy needs a blood test two days after she ingested the ibuprofen?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. When she was at the vet yesterday did they do blood work?

I know, because my dogs ate an entire bottle of ibuprofen and I induced vomiting, that the liver values do not show elevation until 12 hours or more after the ibuprofen is ingested.