How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My small dog may have eaten some chocolate what symptoms

Customer Question

my small dog may have eaten some chocolate what symptoms should I watch for
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess.I am sorry to hear about your dog. Can you answer a few questions for me?

  • how long ago did your dog eat the chocolate?
  • do you know how much chocolate and what type (i.e. milk, dark, baker's)?
  • how much does your dog weigh?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I answered this

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry, I do not see any infromation other than that your dog has eaten some chocolate. If I have a better idea of her size and what she ate, how long ago, I can better instruct you in what to expect.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

So how sick your dog is going to become depends on their size and how much and what type chocolate they ate. They may have no effects, they may have mild GI effects such as diarrhea or vomiting, or they can have more severe effects such as restlessness, twitching, panting, tremors, seizures, and rapid heart rate. In high enough doses, it can be deadly. HEre is an article with some info:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3544

And here is a website with a calculator that you can plug your dog's weight and info about the chocolate in to that can give you more information about how high a dose she ingested in terms of toxicity.