Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had issues with s left rear leg, couldnt pet m there.

Customer Question

my dog had issues with his left rear leg, couldnt pet him there. xray, blood , feces tested negative.month later vomiting, gave fluids and meds. seemed ok. now week later hind legs not working. cant get up just happened in last two days, suggestions (9 years old Rott)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The first thing I would do is recheck the x-rays of the hips and spine. Sometimes signs on an x-ray may not show up at the same time as clinical signs, especially when it comes to arthritis and cancer. Given his age and breed, osteosarcoma (bone cancer) is a big possibility. Plus, there may be a herniated disk. Granted, you can't really see a herniated disk on x-rays, but you may be able to see evidence of it. You may also be able to see evidence of spinal arthritis or an infection on one of the vertebrae as well. I am not sure if he is on Metacam still or not, but he most likely needs to be back on that, along with some tramadol and a possible muscle relaxer. If arthritis related, Adequan injections can work wonders for these dogs that cannot get up. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hi Diego,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Elvis. How is everything going?
Dr. John