Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog has mammary tumor. She is 15 yrs of age. Obviously

Customer Question

Dog has mammary tumor. She is 15 yrs of age. Obviously operation is out of the question but the tumor is growing fast and it is very large now. It feels like fluid not mass. Can the tumor be aspirated to make it smaller? The dog is still alert and seems in no pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If the mass does feel fluidy or even has a partial fluid component, then it is worth having this checked by her vet. The can palpate +/- ultrasound the mass to confirm the fluid's presence. If they do find fluid, then this can be aspirated/removed for her. Of course, we do need to be aware that it will refill over time but this could help keep Sylver comfortable and reduce the risk of the increased size over stretching and ulcerating her skin (which would be sore and an infection risk).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. My vet will not do it. I guess I will have to get a new vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome,

While we know it isn't a curative treatment, this would help keep her comfortable. Therefore, if there is a significant volume of fluid, there isn't really a reason for them not to remove it for her. So, if they aren't keen to do so, then it'd be worth ringing an alternative local vet practice to see if they can aid her with this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One more question: If they do take out the fluid they only use local anesthesia correct?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Since removing fluid is no more painful then giving injection (its a needle poke + then we just use the syringe to remove the fluid), we often don't even need to use local (which stings until it numbs the area and is sometimes more uncomfortable then the aspirating). So, as long as she isn't distressed by handling, she likely won't even need a local to have this drained. But if she was, then they could use that or sedate as needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Terrific. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Sylver and yourself,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)