Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My daughter's 5.2lb Chihuahua ate some Reese's Minis (approx

Customer Question

My daughter's 5.2lb Chihuahua ate some Reese's Minis (approx two-four) chocolate Saturday afternoon. Tuesday night he started acting lethargic & crying when picked up. Same this morning only now he didn't eat. Please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. It sounds like her little chihuahua is suffering from chocolate toxicity. I would say that his level of ingestion would lead to moderate symptoms of toxicity but because of the small size it may be more severe. Based on his symptoms, it has developed into a situation that you shouldn't try to manage at home as he is likely to worsen. My advice to you at this time is that he needs to see a veterinarian right away. Since it has been some time, it is fully absorbed within his blood stream and is causing systemic effects. The best treatment for him now is to have your veterinarian hospitalize him and supply intravenous fluids to flush his system of the theobromine (component that is toxic to dogs). Let me know if you have other questions or if I can clarify anything? If my response was helpful to you, please take the time to rate my response.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thank you

You are welcome, I hope he feels better soon:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am just checking in to see how your daughter's Chihuahua is doing? I hope much better:) If you have other questions, please let know? Also, will you please take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for you professional time in assisting you and your pet.. thanks so much