Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has a rash in groin area and he sucks on m self what

Customer Question

My dog has a rash in groin area and he sucks on him self what to do about him sucking on balls.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: socks and he will be a year old on mother day
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Socks?
Customer: no need to stop him from doing that and treat his rash
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

For the rash, I usually treat with a topical anti-inflammatory (Betagen spray) and an oral antibiotic (Cephalexin). If you just want to use something over the counter, you could use a steroid cream or spray. You could also use Benadryl spray. These both have anti-inflammatory effects locally.

To get him to stop licking/ sucking on himself, you'll have to get an e-collar (lamp shade collar). This is not uncommon with skin rashes. It's also not an uncommon sign in male dogs. They can have tendencies to masturbate. It's disturbing and tough to stop, but it happens. The best thing is to distract them when they're going to do it and then use positive reinforcement when they focus their attention elsewhere.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not have Cephalexin can i use clarithromycin
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

You would need to get the antibiotic from a vet. Clarithromycin is not one we use with any routine in dogs.

If you're not going to take him in, I would just use a topical anti-inflammatory spray or cream. you could also use a topical triple antibiotic like Neosporin.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?