Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog was fine when I put m out this morning. I put my son

Customer Question

My dog was fine when I put him out this morning. I put my son on the school bus and came in to him crying and whining (10 minutes tops). Now he is just wanting to lay with me and occasionally whines or yips if I move or adjust him. Seems like a stomach ache but he doesn't feel distended and no vomiting. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he eating? If he is eating, and not vomiting, it may not be his stomach. It could be back or neck pain; that can come on all of a sudden, without any accident or fall. He may have injured himself while you were gone.

If you check his gums, are they pink in color? Can you take his temperature with a thermometer?

If he is eating, and not vomiting, you could try baby aspirin. How much does he weigh? You can give 1 low dose or baby aspirin to a 15 to 20 pound dog, twice daily, with food. Stop if there is any vomiting. Do NOT give ibuprofen or Aleve or anything but aspirin.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

How is your dog doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?