Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog ate decorative mineral flake (approx 0.5 mm thickness,

Customer Question

Dog ate decorative mineral flake (approx 0.5 mm thickness, similar to sheet mineral) sometime within the past 3 hours, ultimately led to small flakes 2-4mm x 2-4mm. Is vomiting recommended, if so, what method would be most effective?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Akasha, 1 yr
JA: How old is Akasha?
Customer: 1 yr
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Akasha?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my namer is Dr Marta and I will help you.

First you have to explain to me what a mineral flake is. What mineral/minerals does it consist of?

OK I looked it up. Were these mica flakes or epoxy flakes?

How much does you dog weigh?

Did your dog just eat one flake?

Please explain "ultimately led to small flakes....."

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The mica flakes (most common) are composed of inert silicates which can irritate the gastrointestimal tract but aren't toxic. Epoxy flakes are compounded from multiple minerals and also are considered inert but can be irritating to the GI tract. Inducing emesis would have been contraindicated. Coating the flakes with psyllium seed in the form of Metamucil (or similar) by adding the psyllium seed at a dose of 1 teaspoon (small dog) to 1 tablespoon (large dog) to each of the next 3 canned food meals will protect your dog's GI tract and act as a bulk laxative to move the flakes through his GI tract.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.