Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has seizures monthly since 3months of age she's a 21

Customer Question

My dog has seizures monthly since 3months of age she's a 21 month old spayed female. Currently on 3 97.2 mg phenobarbital 2x daily. Now has hair loss went to vet tested for hypothyroidism and negative. Any ideas helpful
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Considering Skye Rose's breed I suspect you're seeing canine recurrent flank alopecia (seasonal flank alopecia, cyclic flank alopecia). Can you upload a photo(s) of her to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My vet was going to test for hyperthyroidism and he was thinking possibly Cushings this is a much better diagnosis, seizures monthly is enough for me to handle. Oh and she's allergic to bee stings. Tried uploading a picture and won't allow me to.

Hyperthyroidism? No. That's a rare disease of old dogs with thyroid carcinoma. Cushing's is similarly only seen in older dogs (more than 6 years of age usually) and cushingoid dogs are eating you out of house and home and drinking like a fish. Let***@******.*** help you upload photo(s). It sounds like I have to save you from an expensive wild goose chase determining the cause of Skye Rose's alopecia.