Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is three and had a full p replacement of s left p two

Customer Question

My dog is three and had a full hip replacement of his left hip two years ago. Since then there have been no problems, except for some occasional stiffness after he plays/exercises excessively. A few days ago, he played heavily at the park. The next day, he slipped (when he scared himself) and let out a yelp. Since then, I've noticed he is limping occasionally on his left hip, especially when he firsts stands up from laying down for a while. I also notice him occasionally putting all of his weight on his right leg and stretching the left one out behind him. He is not wimpering and often his tail is wagging despite his limp. Otherwise, his behavior is completely normal and there are plenty of times when he is moving with no limp at all, running, playing, etc. Could he have done something detrimental to his hip replacement? Would this justify bringing him to the vet for an xray?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Have you looked over the leg thoroughly? Checked all toenails, toes, foot pads and underside of food for any wounds or swelling? check the knee for swelling (sometimes having your dog stand so you can feel the 2 knees side by side will help you determine if any swelling is present), and manipulate the leg- flexing and extending all the joints to see if there is an area that is sensitive?