Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He acts like he is down in s back. When you call m he tries

Customer Question

He acts like he is down in his back. When you call him he tries to crawl to you. This just happened and he was fine earlier today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Fred is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fred?
Customer: Not physically. He is a cow dog and is tough. I've seen him come home after tangling with a bad cow or bull, pretty beat up, but he's never given into pain before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It sounds like your dog is paralyzed in the rear legs. This is usually due to a disc herniation in the back. Given that he's a cow dog, a vertebral fracture or luxation secondary to trauma is also possible. X-rays are needed to rule out fractures or luxations. If it's a disc herniation, an MRI is needed to confirm, as x-rays don't show the discs or spinal cord.

No matter what, this is likely going to require surgery to get function back. Surgery is done to stabilize the spine or remove any compressive disc from around the spinal cord. As long as the cord itself is intact, surgery has a good prognosis for full return to function. Without surgery and with absent movement/ motor in the limbs, the prognosis is poor for return of function.

Here is a nice write up on disc herniations and the associated surgery:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.