Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is vomiting and there are pieces of plastic from the toy

Customer Question

he is vomiting and there are pieces of plastic from the toy he ate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: bowzer and he is 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bowzer?
Customer: no he's pretty normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you may be dealing with a foreign body obstruction. Plastic, as I'm sure you know, does not digest in the stomach or intestines. The vomiting may be due to one of 2 things. It's either because he has an obstruction or it's just irritation from the plastic in the stomach.

X-rays are needed to determine if there is an obstructive pattern in the small intestine. If so, then surgery will be needed to remove the obstruction. If the x-rays are normal, then I would treat with anti-nausea meds and fluids and allow him to pass any pieces still present. Usually once they start vomiting, it's due to an obstruction. There's a chance he won't need surgery, but I'd venture to guess that surgery is going to be in his future.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?