Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My dog is a lab/ English bulldog and just ate a Percocet

Customer Question

Hi my dog is a lab/ English bulldog and just ate a Percocet 5/325 mg will she be ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you. I see that Dr Scott was asking for her weight. That was to determine if the dose of Percocet was a problem. Also to see if you should induce vomiting.

Percocet has both oxycodone and acetaminophen in it.

Since oxycodone is not readily available in dog tissues, it is not used as a pain killer.

There is no accurate data on dosages because it is not used.

As to the acetaminophen, 325 mg would be a normal dose for a 60 to 80 pound dog.

So the Percocet probably wouldn't have caused problems, except drowsiness, unless she ate more than one. Then we would induce vomiting as long as it was no more than 2 hours since she ingested it.

Let me give you the dose for 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.

For dogs over 45 pounds give 3 tablespoon mixed in a small amount of food.

She should vomit in 10 to 20 minutes. If she doesn't, you can re-dose her one more time. The sooner after she eats a potential toxin, the better.

It's a good idea to have a bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in your medicine cabinet with her dose marked on it just in case this situation comes up again.

I hope that I have given you some useful information.

If you have any questions, please ask - even after rating.

I can not find any drug interaction with Benadryl so far. But I will check in more place.