Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 13 pound Tibetan spaniel accidentally ingested one

Customer Question

Our 13 pound Tibetan spaniel accidentally ingested one Tylenol tablet. He seems ok. Should we do anything
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello Russ,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. What strength was the Tylenol { Mg } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Since this is potentially a serious situation I will give you some information on the subject just in case ...

How much Tylenol { Acetaminophen } is a serious overdose? : The toxic dose is said to be 45 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight, at and above this dose level you may see serious symptoms.

What symptoms might you expect with Acetaminophen overdose? : You might expect to see such things as lethargy, inappetance, white colour of the gums and other mucous membranes, dark or black faeces, incoordination, and finally fits and coma.

How should an overdose be treated? : With other over the counter human painkillers such Aspirin or Ibuprofen if you can induce vomiting within the first hour to recover the drug in question then you may well be able to resolve the situation at home. However with Acetaminophen this is often not so successful as this drug is absorbed very quickly in the stomach so you may be too late unless vomiting was induced very swiftly indeed after ingestion.

If you suspect Acetaminophen overdose you would be best to take your dog to an ER vet without delay rather than considering home remedies. Your vet may consider the likes of activated charcoal and a high level of support including IV fluids and even blood transfusion in some cases. Luckily there is an effective antidote called n-acetylcysteine ( NAC) but of course the sooner this is given the better.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Russ,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Yogi. How is everything going?

Hello again Russ,

I am just checking back in to see how Yogi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Tylenol incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott