Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Our 6 year springer has partially tore her MCL in her back

Customer Question

Hello our 6 year springer has partially tore her MCL in her back right leg. She still uses the leg but will hop around on three legs evry now and then. I have heard different surgery options that are invasive and less invasive from other hunters. Is this true? What are my options if we do choose surgery? Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. I am assuming you meant her ACL or anterior cruciate ligament. This is the most common knee injury that we see and it does require surgery. If she is over 50 pounds then you should consider a TPLO or tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. This is an invasive surgery but in the right hands with good followup is the best surgery for an active dog that weighs over 50 pounds. If she is under 50 pounds and not super active you could consider an extracapsular procedure which is less invasive and much less expensive.

With either procedure I would strongly consider rehab (that is one of my areas of expertise) and also your dog should be on joint support formulas for life.

You can really make either procedure work depending upon what your finances are......I hope this helps you but pleas let me know if you have additional questions as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!!

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B