Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog has big sores on s how can I help m

Customer Question

my dog has big sores on his butt how can I help him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the sore next to the anal sphincter?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Is he licking the sores?

4- What is the name or ingredient of he anti septic cream you are using?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1 yes 2 couple of months 3 no 4 R-7

Friend, I am to opt out and allow another expert to comment. I don't think I could be of much help without a hands on examination. I am sorry.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Bear has thee sores. Has your vet examined him for these yet? If so, what treatments have and have not been helpful?

If this is new problem rather than a chronic one, then I'd be most suspicious of an abscessed anal gland. The anal glands are just inside the rectum and they normally produce a smelly oily substance that they express when they have a bowel movement. These can get infected and break open externally causing bleeding sores just to one side or both sides of the rectum. Usually an anal gland abscess is going to require antibiotics prescribed by the vet to clear up. You can do warm compresses to help them drain and make Bear more comfortable.

If these sores are something that's been treated and not responded well to antibiotics and/or anti-inflammatories, then we worry that it might be perianal fistulas. PF's are open sores that are typically in the same place as the anal gland abscess sores, so initially they can look very similar. PF's don't respond well to typical treatments, though, so they often don't get better with antibiotics alone. Usually a dog with perianal fistulas will require treatment with an immunosuppressive drug like cyclosporine, azathioprine, or prednisone on a long term basis. These are very frustrating to treat.

Please let me know if this info is helpful - if not, let me know what you're seeing and what questions you have.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)