Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My dog is a Cocker Spaniel. Sometimes she throws up just

Customer Question

My dog is a Cocker Spaniel. Sometimes she throws up just yellow "bile". She has not eaten sometimes. She gets hungriest in later afternoon or night. It makes her ears smell sour then I feel like I need to give her a bath. My vet said give her pepcid AC
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. What you are describing is suggestive of a condition known as bilious vomiting syndrome. This occurs when excess amount of gastric acid is produced (which can be worsened by infrequent feeding) and results in irritation to stomach lining with nausea and vomiting. The worse thing for dogs with this condition to do is eat 1-2 larger meals per day. It is best for them to eat frequently throughout the day. Before bedtime, a small meal or snack is needed with a dose of Famotidine (Pepcid) (which can be repeated up to twice daily).

Here is a little extra reading on the subject:

https://www.vetinfo.com/bilious-vomiting-syndrome-in-dogs.html

Start feeding Annie more frequently throughout the day; at bedtime feed her once more with a dose of Pepcid (or generic Famotidine) which is found on in 10 mg or 20 mg tablet... a 10 lb dog would take about 5 mg every 12-24 hours.

I hope this is helpful advice to you. Let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. If my response was helpful to you do today, please take the time to rate my answer positively!

Hello, I am just checking in to see how Annie is doing today? If my response was helpful to you, please take the time to rate my answer positively so I may be compensated for my professional time? Thanks..