Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just found out that my kid has scabies. Yesterday he was

Customer Question

I just found out that my kid has scabies. Yesterday he was playing a lot with my in-laws' very hairy dog. Do we need to treat the dog?
What is the risk that the dog now has scabies?
Thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, scabies tends to be host specific. This means that while they can crawl onto another species (like the dog) and bite, they cannot usually set up an infestation. Therefore, the risk of issue for Sadie is low. That said, if we wanted to err on the side of caution, all your in-laws need to do is treat Sadie with a multi-species anti-parasitic treatment like Advantage Multi, Revolution, or Stronghold. These are all available at their local vets and often just needs a recent weight for her to be dispensed for use.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply tome via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)