Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

How do you recognize and treat hypoglycemia in puppies??

Customer Question

How do you recognize and treat hypoglycemia in puppies? ? Chihuahuas in particula
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your puppies! Hypoglycemia in puppies can make them lethargic, drool excessively, move as if drunken, and in severe cases cause seizure or coma. If this happens at home you can rub karo syrup or if that isn't available, honey on their gums, and be sure to keep them warm as their body temperature can drop. It will be absorbed through their gums into their blood stream but it is recommended to get them into a vet after you do this to ensure the blood sugar comes back up high enough for them. Here is an article on this condition:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2085

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!