Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 40 lb dog just ate an oats and chocolate chip fiber one

Customer Question

My 40 lb dog just ate an oats and chocolate chip fiber one bar out of my bag. I don't think it's too much chocolate but I wanted to make sure
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jeter, he's 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jeter?
Customer: he loves to eat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: otherwise healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Jeter eating an oats and chocolate chip Fiber One bar out of your bag. They do need to eat a certain amount of chocolate to get sick.

At 40 pounds he would need to eat 2.62 ounces of dark chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and 5.23 ounces of dark chocolate to see hyperexcitability and an elevated heart rate.

At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.

To give you a point of reference most normal chocolate bars are 2.25 ounces. I doubt a few chocolate chips in a Fiber One bar could be that amount of chocolate.

He may have some loose stools from eating all that fiber, but that would be the only side effects I would expect to see.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it.