Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Jeter eating an oats and chocolate chip Fiber One bar out of your bag. They do need to eat a certain amount of chocolate to get sick.
At 40 pounds he would need to eat 2.62 ounces of dark chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and 5.23 ounces of dark chocolate to see hyperexcitability and an elevated heart rate.
At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.
To give you a point of reference most normal chocolate bars are 2.25 ounces. I doubt a few chocolate chips in a Fiber One bar could be that amount of chocolate.
He may have some loose stools from eating all that fiber, but that would be the only side effects I would expect to see.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it.