Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog had loose bowel movements all day and now she keeps

Customer Question

My dog had loose bowel movements all day and now she keeps wanting to go out to pee and now there is blood in her urine could she have a bladder infection
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear about Spunky

There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. Since she is not eating well please try white rice and lean boiled meat in small more frequent meals and add water to the mixture. In addition flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs

If not interested in food then please do not push it, if she is nauseous she may start vomiting if pushed to eat but you can try pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours 15 minutes before attempts to feed to reduce stomach acids...

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other than the blood in her urine she is acting ok barking out the window as usual what can I do for her she did not want to eat
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully the information I have provided will aid in guiding how to assist her the next 12 hours

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 15 minutes if I can be of any further assistance today, I hope Spunky is feeling better soon...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Spunky to see if you were able to get her into the vet today? I would love an update when you are able...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help yesterday. I ended up giving her some benadryl last night so she could get some sleep. She slept from 2 til about 9:30 this morning, peed with not a lot of red in it. Got her to the vet this morning and she does have a uti
Thanks for helping put my mind at ease last night
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to hear there is nothing more serious going on than a urinary tract infection and I truly hope she is feeling better soon!

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Spunky. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for putting my mind at ease Sunday night. She is doing much better even though I have to trick her with cheese to get her to take her medicine. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update, I am happy to things are going well even if there is some bribery going on :)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!