Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Has had s tail down between s legs since this morning.

Customer Question

Has had his tail down between his legs since this morning. Lethargic and weak (couldn't jump on the bed earlier, hasn't jump onto the couch he usually lies on). But, had a good bowel movement this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tobey, estimated ten years, beagle mix about 25 lbs. Rescued about 3 months ago so age is uncertain. Not eating, haven't seen him drink all day.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tobey?
Customer: Also his bark sounds like laryngitis. But has gotten up and gone to the door when aroused.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello Rand,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Rand,

I have worked out an answer for you ...

Having read your question through I think the safest thing to do under the circumstances would be to have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. It is so difficult to safely suggest a home remedy in these circumstances without the danger of giving you the wrong or indeed dangerous advice.

That said while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to precisely pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that he is lethargic and weak that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection, the strange bark may be a clue here. This is not unusual in my experience ...

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible.

In the meantime until you can get him to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Rand,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his sudden onset lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott