Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

He is 8 months old and is a male german shepherd mix with

Customer Question

he is 8 months old and is a male german shepherd mix with black lab . he has chewed some wood for our stove probably birch. he salvitates alot for a couple of days and he drinks alot . he eats well i just changed his food from puppy chow to pedigree adult food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: he was castrated in october and he is very big for his age
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

I am so sorry to hear your pet is showing these symptoms tonight...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as the wood or a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition and if there is no change in the next 12 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No dinner if you have not already fed to allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!