How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested or it gum. He weighs 70lbs and ate around 10

Customer Question

My dog ingested or it gum. He weighs 70lbs and ate around 10 pieces
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
orbit
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Please check the package and give me the ingredients, the danger is it may contain Xylitol which is toxic to dogs.

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

OK lets proceed on the basis that the gum contains Xylitol ...

One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

More information to follow shortly ...

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello again.

More information for you ...

Hopefully you will have made your dog sick and recovered as much of the gum as possible.

1. Xylitol can be very toxic to dogs as it causes a drop in blood sugar { Hypoglycaemia } in dogs that can lead to depression, loss of coordination and seizures in as little as 30 minutes. If you fail to recover all of the gum via vomiting you should contact an emergency vet for further treatment if that is possible. Quick action is important here as poisonings related to Xylitol in gum are well documented , better safe than sorry.

2. However if local veterinary help is not available for whatever reason then you should do what you can to keep your dog's blood sugar levels up this would involve feeding the dog frequent carbohydrate rich meals. { Say each three hours }

3. Emergency Treatment of Hypoglycaemia : Immediate oral administration of glucose solution or honey (1 g per kg body weight). Animals that are collapsed should not have large volumes of fluid forced into their mouths as this may result in aspiration pneumonia. Here it is preferable to rub a small amount of the glucose solution or honey onto the animal’s gums or under its tongue.

4. Veterinary treatment may include hospitalization and intravenous fluids with dextrose supplementation. Some pets can remain symptomatic and may maintain a low blood sugar for several hours.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

Obviously I am concerned about the possible Xylitol ingestion, please let me know how your dog is doing ....

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We ended up contacting our local vet, inducing vomiting and monitored every three hours all night long. He seems to be doing fine, he ended up throwing up a good bit of the gum last evening! He has shown no signs of hypoglycemia and will have blood work wednesdag
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the update, I am so glad things worked out OK,

You did the right thing ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions