How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12085
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 10 year old Labradoodle had surgery 10 days ago to

Customer Question

Our 10 year old Labradoodle had surgery 10 days ago to remove several fatty tumors. Last night he started throwing up - at first a big pile with undigested food. Then several more times yellow foamy (which he has done occasionally before the surgery).
I noticed about an hour ago that he was shivering, took his temp rectally - 102.8.
He is continuing to shiver.
He finished his antibiotic a couple of days ago Cephalexin 500 mg 2x a day
His sutures all look fine - no redness and they are drying up.
One concern was that he jumped into a water trough 3 days after his surgery - I could see the bottom, but there was lots of algae growing in it. We took the bandage off his foot and replaced it. I had just taken him outside to "do his business", but he is a water dog, and was in there before I knew it :( Could that be developing into an infection?
He just drank some water and immediately threw it up.
Since today is Sunday, and tomorrow is President's Day, do I need to take him to an emergency vet? Thank you for your help!!! Dee
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It is concerning that he has possibly developed an infection or he could be having a delayed reaction to the antibiotics or anti inflammatories (especially if he is still on them)

First, please remove even the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is he needs to drink to maintain hydration but if he is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake. Second the trembling is often related to pain, whether it be gi, orthopedic, or abdominal it is concerning today especially with the mild fever

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control. Please retake that temperature every few hours tonight to ensure it is not climbing above 103.5

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode or until this evening if he hasn't vomited since yesterday

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours this evening to test his stomach

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I hope he is feeling better soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your dog doing? Has his temperature stabilized? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!