Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My wife had a prescription that she left in the car with our

Customer Question

My wife had a prescription for Zofran that she left in the car with our 35# ***** He got into the bottle and chewed the blister packs of zofran (maybe 10-15 doses but 3 or 4 were intact. Seems to be acting normal at present but what can be the symptoms and effects of an overdose of zofran?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Renny, Wheaten Terrier 10 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Renny?
Customer: No, normal dog.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Ed., 2015, overdoses of up to 10X didn't cause significant morbidity (severity of symptoms) in human subjects. Overdoses were treated supportively. There's no antidote. This drug appears to be well tolerated in dogs and is usually dosed at up to 0.1 mg/lb or 3.5 mg for Renny. Constipation, sedation, head shaking, arrhythmias (irregular heart rates), and hypotension (low blood pressure) are possible. If it's been less than 2 hours it would be prudent to induce emesis with 2 measuring tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed with a small poultry baster placed between Renny's cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. You're going to run into the problem that Zofran is an antiemetic and so inducing emesis could be impossible. His vet might have better luck by injecting Remmy with apomorphine - a more potent emetic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Mike,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?