Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our min pin has vomited twice in the last hour....lethargic

Customer Question

Our min pin has vomited twice in the last hour....lethargic acting...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see him eat anything out of the ordinary..color white /cloudy weighs /12 pounds... Male
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One hour
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. If he is lethargic to the point where he does not want or is reluctant to walk I would have him checked by ER veterinarian. Attending veterinarian may need to do some testing like blood work and xrays to determine the exact underlying cause. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rooney. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter