Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

What is the dosage to give buffered asprin to a 5yr old Dog.

Customer Question

what is the dosage to give buffered asprin to a 5yr old Dog. I cut one of her back nails too close & of course it started to bleed. I didn't have any styptic power so I used ice off & on and it stopped. I put a bandage on but had to add the big round.-collar. Over night she would place the cone directly over that foot & licked it (sopping wet). When I went to take her out she whined so loud the whole time & didn't potty. I removed the bandaged to air it out but she holds up that paw & screams bloody murder if she has to but it down. Everything looks normal around the paw, but she holds it up like it is still bandaged.
My guess is that she has a cramp in her foot since she has held it in one position for 2 days. Should I try bandaging her "healthy" back foot to see if she can walk to go out side and try to keep massaging her bad leg? Sorry for the long email. Tks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Gracie is having such a time with her back nail. Typically, most dogs aren't going to react in such an extreme way when a nail has been cut too close....which as you might imagine happens quite frequently (even to professionals!).

I wouldn't advise rebandaging either foot at this point; this may just be focusing her attention too much on her feet.

I might continue use of the cone though if she's excessively licking at the toe but this is something of a judgement call at this point.

The dose of Aspirin which I might use in this situation would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day with food to prevent stomach upset. For example, the dose I'd use for a 60-70 lb dog would be two of the full strength, 325 mg sized tablets twice a day.

Unless something else is going on, she should start using the foot in a normal fashion within the next day. If she's not, then a vet visit might be prudent just to be safe.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Hi Susan Rivas,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Gracie. How are things going with her? Deb