How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 9774
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wire hair fox terrier just swallowed a child's sock

Customer Question

My wire hair fox terrier just swallowed a child's sock whole. She almost choked but seems fine now. Should I take her to the vet or wait to see if she can pass it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

While most dogs will pass these items without any problems, there's always the risk of them causing an obstruction.

If it's been less than 2 hours since your dog ingested the sock and if you have active 3% hydrogen peroxide (if should bubble and fizz), then you could induce vomiting which, hopefully, will retrieve the sock.

The dose would be 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight mixed with bread. Then walk her around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes, if necessary.

Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most of them will.

I can understand that you might be concerned about the sock becoming lodged in her esophagus on the way back up but this is typically a concern when sharp objects are ingested...not soft ones like a sock.

I'll await your response. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog. Did you induce vomiting or decide to wait it out? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb