Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 50 lb standard poodle chewed open and consumed an entire

Customer Question

my 50 lb standard poodle chewed open and consumed an entire bottle of Dasaquin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the standard poodle's name and age?
Customer: RosaMina is 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about RosaMina?
Customer: no, she's perfectly healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she eat any part of the bottle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, she just chewed it

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she is a robust, thriving 50 lb standard poodle with no health issues

Friend, single overdoses of dasuquin as you describe usually are not life threatening, at worst the dog may experience vomiting or diarrhea otherwise they are fine. I would recommend you observe her for the next 24 hours, if she develops vomiting/diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll call my Vet first thing in the morning as this stock response is lacking

I am sorry, do you have additional questions.