Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog ate a small peice of glass
, peanut is 35 /bs a rat

Customer Question

dog ate a small peice of glass
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: peanut is 35 /bs a rat terrier /jack x
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Peanut?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How big was the piece of glass?

2- How long has it been since he ate it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think no more than a 1/4 in or smaller. glas dish broke,, I vacumned and then heard him crunching something after the fact. made his spit most of it out. He ate about 20 minute before and had a very big drink after.
someone said cotton balls soaked in milk help?

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would rather have a quick email answer. not near any phones.at a cottage

Friend, as you may already know the concern with the ingestion of a piece of glass would be perforation of the gastrointestinal tract or the glass becoming obstructed. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the glass can damage the esophagus on the way out. I would not give cotton, instead this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind the glass and help move it out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check the stool for the next 48 hours, if you do not find the glass within 48 hours I would have him checked by family vet for xrays with barium.
4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter