Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog shakes and shivers when it rains..and recently she

Customer Question

My dog shakes and shivers when it rains..and recently she started doing this during the day..she use to just stay in the yard but now takes off running down the street shes 14 years old..the vet said it was anxiety and prescribed some pills but makes her like a zombie...i know she must miss my mom who passed away lastyear and pretty much kept her inside but why is she starts shivering during the day like shes anxious ? Yesterday she took off running into the neighbors garage.. yes i have a leash on her now.. she stays real close to my dad and doesnt leave his side ..is there any home remedy besides pills ?
Her appetite is fine . The vet said she had a heart mumour as well but would that have anything to do with the sudden change ?please help feel bad for my dad he worries about her too
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the medication she is on?

2- Is she getting a little slower getting up from the floor or going up stairs?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They dont have stairs at the house and she seems to be fine getting up and running. Not sure if the name of the prescription but its for anxiety.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there any home remedy like liking lollipops or something ?

Friend, certainly shivering and shaking could be caused by anxiety. But, in an older dog with a history of the shivering becoming more evident during rainy days we also have to consider arthritis pain. The shaking/shivering could be a sign of pain. I would recommend you discuss with your family veterinarian about a trial with arthritis medication like Rimadyl. If the shivering goes away while on Rimadyl then it is likely that she is in pain and should continue long term on Rimadyl. The heart murmur is not a cause for the shivering. Finally, there is no home remedy that I can recommend, sorry.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why is she suddenly taking off running like never before ?can baby asprin help?

When dogs are experiencing pain or any type of stress they can seek hiding in odd places.

I would not recommend using aspirin, it may not be as effective in this case. Plus, she is an older dog so she may need to some testing before the use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. You can buy Cosequin (glucosamine) over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose. The only problem is that cosequin may take a couple of weeks before seeing any benefits. Plus, it is not a pain killer. It helps arthritic patients by promoting the production of joint fluid.

Hi Liz,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter