Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog ate a small amount of chocolate, what should I look

Customer Question

My dog ate a small amount of chocolate, what should I look for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

In order to be able to give you expectations, I need to know how much your dog weighs and approximately how much chocolate you think he ate. Also, what type of chocolate (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, etc).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My dog weighs approx. 11 pounds. This was milk chocolate. He ate 1 to 1.5 pieces and the package says that 5 pieces would be 31 grams.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My dog weighs approx. 11 pounds. This was milk chocolate. He ate 1-1 1/2 pieces. The package says that 5 pieces would be 31 grams.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

Great news for you. Everything should be okay. This is such a low dose for your dog's weight that I would probably not even expect any upset stomach (vomit/diarrhea). Therefore, I recommend proceed as you would normally today with food/water and activity and just monitor. If you see a vomit or some diarrhea within the next 24 hours monitor it. It should be self-limiting and not last more than once but if there is some severe issue, then you need to contact your veterinarian. Sometimes after a high fat snack like this a dog may develop pancreatitis which leads to vomit/diarrhea but it would be delayed by 48-72 hours. So, if you get through 2-3 days and no issues, then no worries about any delayed consequence of eating the chocolate.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up to check in and see how everything is going this morning. We should be well beyond any sort of excitement toxicity phase (not that we were worried about this happening based on the amount ingested). Let me know if you have any further questions.