Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My sons pitbull was attacked by a loose pack of dogs.he

Customer Question

my sons pitbull was attacked by a loose pack of dogs.he sufferd several puncture as well as
two cuts in his face.he is 10 yrs old.I TREATED THE WOUNDS WITH HYDROGEN PEROXIDE.
HE HAS A BAD LIMP AND MOVES VERY SLOW.I DIDNT KNOW IF COATED ASPIRIN OR ALEVE
MIGHT BE HELPFULL. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?
THANKS DANIEL
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I apologize no expert jumped in to answer until now. Please do NOT give Aleve. You also canNOT give acetaminophen or ibuprofen as all are toxic for dogs. You may do a low dose aspirin but the bad news is it does not provide good pain relief. :( Prescription medication from your veterinarian will be more useful.

I must also say anytime there are several punctures of varying depths, this is a clearcut call for an immediate emergency visit. First, he MUST start antibiotics now. Theses are going to abscess no matter how good you flush them out (and with flushing it's better to use diluted betadine as you would get at the pharmacy). Also, he needs an exam and to have all the areas probed to see if any are very deep and may require a drain or suture. And, to confirm none punctures into his chest or abdomen which can lead to serious internal infection. The longer you wait to have him seen the higher the chance for more serious complications.

Please let me know what questions you have.