How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1512
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate a used Clorox disposable toilet bowl

Customer Question

My dog just ate a used Clorox disposable toilet bowl cleaning head. He fished it out of the garbage about 10 minutes ago. I found it when I got out of the shower. I have given him about 1 cup of milk and two pieces of bread with peanut butter. What should I do? So far he seems fine but it's hard to say, he's sort of tired from our walk a couple hours ago so he could be lethargic and I wouldn't really know. He is a 50 pound lab-border collie mix, 15 months old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Are you online to chat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just also called my local emergency vet too.
She is having me make him throw up. I just gave him hydrogen peroxide.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The concern here is two fold... what chemicals were on the cleaning pad (hopefully if it was already used they were mostly washed away) and the potential for a foreign body (not sure how large these pads are?). Do you have the box which lists the ingredients? did you let the emergency vet know the name of the chemicals? Some chemicals we don't want to make a dog vomit because they can cause further irritation or risk aspiration occuring into the lungs.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

So when I look online, it appears that this product contains glycolic acid, which from my research can be toxic to the kidneys (it is what the body breaks antifreeze down into, and can cause damage to the kidneys and metabolic acidosis. I do not know how much glycolic acid is on each product, but it does concern me. I would recommend bringing your vet into the emergency clinic for this reason if she doesn't vomit the pad back up right away, or even if she does to be on the safe side. Another option you have would be to call animal poison control, who have a much larger database on all sorts of household products and how much may be in each product and what levels may cause toxicity in pets. They can be reached at (###) ###-####

http://aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/p-vettech_0401_0.pdf