Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

We have one of our German Shepherd puppies that is seemingly

Customer Question

We have one of our German Shepherd puppies that is seemingly ill. she lays in whelping box and she just skivers, as if she is cold. None of the other pups are cold. They have a heater and a large watt lamp over them. I pick her up and wrap her in blanket and close to me to get her warm. She moans now and again. I gave he little dab of Vit Cal and she took it ok. Also gave her few drops of water off my finger. Is there anything else I can do and what could this problem be? Thank You. Desperate... :(
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. It sounds like this little pup is in trouble and sometimes in large litters you will have 1-2 puppies that develop a "failure to thrive" situation. Is mom still nursing her or has she pushed her out? If she isn't provided the properly nutrition you will have to bottle feed her with puppy milk replacer every 2-4 hours to keep her alive. Keeping her warm is key so warm bedding with a heat lamp is good; you can also fill up rubber gloves with warm water and keep them close by as well. If mom isn't stimulating her to urinate and defecate, you will have to do this by gently rubbing her anus and genitals around feeding time.. she isn't old enough to know to do this on her own. You can also gently open her mouth and check for any birth defects (usually a small hole) in her hard or soft palate that may be causing her to not be able to eat properly. Along with regular bottle feeding, you can also keep her blood sugar up by rubbing just a small drop of Karo syrup or molassus syrup on her gums at feeding time..just make sure you rinse her mouth out well after doing this...

I hope this advice is helpful to you. However, let me know if you have other questions or need clarification on any of this. Also, if my advice as helpful to you, please take the time to rate my response positively:)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is helpful. I have given her a little tiny bit of Vita-Cal and a few drops of water. Is that helpful? if we have no syrup tonight?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also, should we make the mama feed her by herself so she doesn't have to be left out?

As long as the Vita-Cal has some sugar added to keep her caloric intake up it should be fine. You don't necessarily have to allow mom to feed her alone but just keep a close eye and make sure she has a free "teat" and gets adequate feeding, especially if she is the runt and not able to compete with her bigger brothers and sisters.

Hello, I am just checking in to see how your puppy is doing today? If my response was helpful to you, please take the time to rate my answer positively so I may be compensated for my professional time? Thanks..