Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I forgot to ask how I should give my golden Retriver 75mg of

Customer Question

I forgot to ask how long I should give my golden Retriver 75mg of Benadryl every eight hours for how many days?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how much am I charged before tip?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

Hi! Glad you're back.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

While I'm great with veterinary questions, I'm afraid I'm unable to help with questions about payment or how the website works. I'll direct you to the customer support team for that. There should be something you can click on to reach them.

Onto your question about how long to give the benadryl....

That's actually a really complicated question. You see, allergy management is one of the most complicated things we do in veterinary practice. Each dog is different and finding a plan that works takes some time.

So... the appropriate way to look at this is that Benadryl is a safe option for something you can try on your own without veterinary guidance just to see if you can get him a little relief until you get him to the vet.

It's safe. It's easy to get. It will sometimes provide a little itch relief.

But it's not a long term solution to your problem. That will take a lot of work with your veterinary to solve.

I'll attach some helpful links below that will give you some idea of how complicated allergy management is.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

http://us.atopica.com/en/#

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=597

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=652

The above three webpages should help you get started learning what you're going to need to know to manage Blue's allergies throughout his lifetime.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

To clarify: if the Benadryl seems like it helps Blue, you can repeat it for him as often as every eight hours for as long as he is itchy.

We don't cure allergies; we only manage the symptoms. An allergic itch will always return as soon as the medication wears off (as long as the dog is exposed to whatever he is allergic to).

That means you should do this for Blue only until you can get him to the vet, or stop sooner if you can tell it isn't helping him at all.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.