Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog was t by the car and has severe deglowing of inner

Customer Question

hi, my dog was hit by the car and has severe deglowing of inner thigh on one paw and front leg. bons are exposed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Mikey's accident! I know this is scary but the treatment for a degloving injury such as you have described is the best for this condition. There is no tissue left to cover some areas so daily wet bandages will help promote tissue to cover these defects. even those with bones exposed. Sweet Mikey should be covered with strong antibiotics as well as anti inflammatory medications to help which is also being done. I know this is frustrating since this will take a long time to heal but as long as you follow your vets directions, sweet Mikey will come out if this well.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what would be best option for him? to have a graft surgery (how soon it could be done) or wounds (size of entire inner thigh , another is entire front leg including knee) might heel on its own with time?

This does all depend on the size of the exposed areas. It is best to have a Veterinary Dermatologist examine Mikey to know for sure what will be best. It is hard for me to tell you what would be best but if the exposed lesion is large, grafting would be a better way to heal this area. In smaller lesions, wet bandages will promote tissue to fill in this defect.

Does that make sense???