Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My 78 pound lab just ate 1 migraine pill.. Sumatriptan

Customer Question

My 78 pound lab just ate 1 migraine pill..
Sumatriptan success 100 mg tablet (generic for imitrex?
She also was given her prescribed medication for an infection on her leg of an antibiotic and predniee (1 every other day)
Do I need to take her top the emergency vet? I
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lynette,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am fine with email and text reply. I have all the drug details and compound if you require that.I think I sent the message /question 2x. I accidently clicked off the site and when I went back it said click to continue...
your payment processed so you won't be chared twice. Then the question questions came up again.
Thank you.

Hello again Lynette

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Imitrex { sumatriptan } is not used much in dogs and it's effects are known to be variable where accidental ingestion has occurred. Deaths have been reported but usually at much higher levels than your dog took took. However side effects can occur at a doses as low as 1mg/lb of body weight. your dog took 1.28 mg/lb.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be fine. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include convulsions, tremors, paralysis, lethargy, incoordination, salivation and runny eyes.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The emergency vet said I should not induce vomting until poison control gives direction as some meds you should not induce. I was hoping you'd be able to give me specific direction on this medication but the information is pretty general so I'm going to have to contact pet poison control and pay them to assist. I hope that I will not be charged more than the $5 fee since you weren't able to advise more specifically to this medication. I do thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

When you look at her eyes, are they the same size?