Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is coughing up phlegm, kind of in color. It's not

Customer Question

My dog is coughing up phlegm, kind of white in color. It's not Kennel Cough. Is there something I can do to relief this problem? It's like a person who finally loosens the phelgm and coughs it up. He shows no other indications that anything is wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we have to remember that we can see coughing of this nature related to any upper airway infection (even viral) or when our dogs have irritated their throats. Since he is well otherwise, you can try to soothe his cough using a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. Of course, if his signs linger then we'd want to have a check with his vet so that antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories can be dispensed to just nip this in the bud for your lad.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet