Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy is constantly panting, reason. Even if she's just

Customer Question

My puppy is constantly panting, for no reason. Even if she's just laying down she starts heavily panting. Is it anything to worry about? Also, she acts restless. And is always extremely thirsty.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Both persistent panting and polydipsia are danger signs in dogs.

Excessive panting can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity. Most of these diseases can be ruled out at a such a young age.

Polydipsia is seen with urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, both hepatic and renal insufficiency, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease, Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, hyperthyroidism, psychogenic polydipsia, electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, hypercalcemia, and pyometra (uterine infection) in the intact female. Once again, most of these diseases can be ruled out in such a young pup.

Lola's symptoms are important enough to have her vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Testing for those disorders not seen at her age isn't necessary and so discussing with Lola's vet what should be tested for would be prudent before proceeding. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was a little concerned that she might have a UTI, she had this thick greenish slimy stuff around her vaginal area and she seems to be cleaning her self more often down there too. She also cannot be left somewhere by herself, she'll whine and bark until someone is back around her. I'm attempting to crate train her and when she's in there she gets so upset that she pukes.
Also, I noticed the other day that her butthole (sorry TMI) is kind of swollen like she might have hemorrhoids? It's just red/pink and sticking out.

You've described a puppy vaginitis. It's relatively common and not treated in most cases because it spontaneously disappears with maturity. If the infection has ascended from her vagina into her urinary tract, however - and that sounds like a good possibility with Lola - a systemic broad sprectrum antibiotic should be considered.

Dog's don't suffer from hemorrhoids but tenesmus (straining) when defecating can certainly cause what you're seeing. Presumptive worming with an over the counter wormer containing either fenbendazole or pyrantel pamoate should be considered. It would be prudent to bring a fresh fecal sample to Lola's vet to have a fecal ova and parasite exam performed in case parasites not susceptible to those wormers are present. Coccidia would be my main concern. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have a vet appointment Thursday for her first check up/exam. I'm just worried that I might need to get her in sooner with the symptoms she's having? She's been wormed and she's had her first parvo shot as well.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, what about her behavior issues? The constantly crying if no one is around, making herself puke.

Thank you for the additional information. If it's been two weeks from the initial worming, please repeat it. Yes, I'd like her to be attended to prior to Thursday. As hard as it can be, you have to practice tough love and NOT respond to her crying. If you do, you just reinforce that crying works.