Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just took my dog to the vet to check out a bump i was

Customer Question

Hello! I just took my dog to the vet to check out a bump i was concerned about. He could not tell me what the bump was and the charge to remove and biopsy was $885-1100. This seems high to me but i dont know what something like this would cost. The vet told me it could be anything from a cyst to cancer which has left me freaking out.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now these situations can be tricky since surgery prices can vary between practices and are usually based on what type of mass is being taken off (since some are harder to remove, others less so). Furthermore, prices can be influenced by the practice's location, level of the vet's speciality, the amount of surgical and anesthesia time required to remove this, drug costs (which are more for the larger dogs since they need more), and by what the practice chooses to charge. Therefore, for a simple mass on an area with lots of room (like the chest, belly, back) this would be quite costly. But for a large or difficult to remove mass (perhaps on the face or a leg), this could be a more reasonable price.

In any case, if you feel this mass is small and in an area where there isn't limited room, then you may want to ring around to other vets and see if you can get a better estimate. This could help you decide if you wanted to go elsewhere or the current vet may price match. Otherwise and most importantly, I would suggest having your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then trauma we likely have a cyst. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. And that could dictate whether we even need surgery for Elsa at all or can just keep an eye on this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)