Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My lab has vomited three times and refuses to eat and drink

Customer Question

my lab has vomited three times and refuses to eat and drink and wants to stay out in the snow and hide in the yard. he's peed and pooped today though the poop was hard. can he wait to am
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

It's very difficult for me to prognose from here but you can get a good idea of the urgency of having Bubba attended to by checking his vital signs. Please...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

4) Check to see if his abdomen appears bloated.

Please let me know what you find.